HB 505 creates a commission that would be authorized to approve applications for new charter schools. The bill also expands the types of organizations that can open charter schools beyond just school districts.
From the bill:
The following persons or entities may submit a chartered public school application:
(1) A nonprofit organization including, but not limited to, a college, university, museum, service club, or similar entity.
(2) A group of 2 or more teachers each of whom holds a valid New Hampshire teaching credential.
(3) A group of 10 or more New Hampshire residents.
(b) A chartered public school may be approved for operation in this state by:
(1) A vote of the legislative body of a school district pursuant to RSA 194-B:3;
(2) Approval of the state board of education pursuant to RSA 194-B:3-a; or
(3) Approval of the state chartered public school commission pursuant to RSA 194-B:3-b.
SPONSORS: Rep. Cordelli (Carr-04), Rep. Ladd (Graf-04), Rep. Weyler (Rock-13), Rep. V. Sullivan (Hills-16), Sen. Avard (Dist 12), Sen. Reagan (Dist 17)